Monday, March 30, 2009

Stuart Hall Cultural Studies

I think the realist, linguistic, and Discursive position all play a role in Race. There are genetic differences in people, differences occur through our different languages and cultures, and through the systems of thought and language we use to make sensee of our differences. I don't think we can say that one position is more right than the others. Maybe its just how my system of thought and my language come into play, just like Hall said. I don't know if that is correct to call what I am and how i view race. I guess Hall is correct that we have different systems of thought that we use to make use of the differences, but then again everyone has a different system of thought. I'm not to sure what to make of his thoughts. I mean it makes sense, but what exactly does his ideas do for the world to see everything the same.



I picked the part of Do the right hting that Sut Jhally used in the movie we had to watch. Like him i think it shows exactly what these three positions mean and how the men in this clip use them. All of hte guys use descriptors that either talk about genetic differences, cultural differences and thought differences.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Matt. I can see and agree with Hall that the realist, linguistic, discursive position all play a part in what defines race however his theory is hard to wrap your head around. Like Matt said, I know what I think about myself and about race but I have a different thought system than a person in the next room and a person half-way across the world. Who is to say one persons opinion or more valuable than another's when it comes to making sense of the differences. The clip from Do The Right Thing is a good one because each of these men are describing different ways of viewing other people in more of a derogatory sense. They insult each other and many others who live amongst them. Is one of them more right than the other? Who is to say?

    ReplyDelete