Monday, April 20, 2009

Bret Schlein's 'Every Girl' Remix

Go here to view my remix: http://astro.temple.edu/~tua61850/Remix_Every_Girl_2.ppsx

If you do not have PowerPoint on your computer, download this free viewer here: PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (for Windows)
or download it for your mac here: PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (for Mac)

My purpose for making this remix was to point out different female stereotypes of beauty that are in our culture. I did this by using the song 'Every Girl' by Lil' Wayne, Drake, Jae Millz, Gutta, + Mack Maine. Over the song, I used various images of women, throughout the slide show. Without stating what the stereotypes for beauty are for women, I let the song and images do that for themselves. The audience for the remix is intended for this class only, especially since JumpCut is shutting down. I want the audience (the class) to watch the remix and interpret it in their own ways. Each person thinks differently. I do want each person to be able to pick out the different stereotypes of women that stand out, through the combination of the song and the constant photos of different women.

I used Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 to create my remix. I used many images that I found using various websites, such as Google Images, Live.com, and Photobucket. In order to portray the messages that I wanted to use, I used various techniques. One technique was to select images that fit into two different themes; beautiful women and stereotypically ugly women. I chose the song, 'Every Girl,' so that many of the images would fit well with the song, while the others would clash. I also placed certain images at certain points of the song, so that it would create new meanings, when the original meanings of the song and image clashed.

My remix is a fair use of source texts, because it is transformative. Using the images that I used, along with the song, I added new values and purposes to both forms of media.

Enjoy my remix,

--Bret Schlein

No comments:

Post a Comment