Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First Post


Hey Guys!
My name is Catherine Cannon and I'm a sophomore BTMM major at Temple. My sophomore year so far has been really awesome. The Phillie's won the world series and I was able to run down to city hall, Obama was elected into office and the Steelers are going to the Superbowl! I was born and raised and Pittsburgh which makes me a die-hard Steelers fan and I cannot wait until Sunday, February 1 for the game!

To the right is a photo and below is a video that combines two of the most incredible parts of my year so far.




When I was first deciding what to major in when I was applying to colleges the only thing that made any sense to me was the field of communications. Communication and especially mass communication is such an important part of my life and honestly it's almost sad to say that I'm not sure how I could survive without the internet, television, newspapers, etc. I am a very type A, energetic person and having media and so many forms of communication at my fingertips is just so exciting to me. I like to know all the information and right when it happens and the different forms of mass communication make that easy for me. However even with all the positives that mass communication gives to me I would have to agree with Sarah that there are flaws with the day by day development of mass communication. Life seems to have become more and more interpersonal which is something that worries me. In the United States we are all already in a mindset of each man for his own and mass communication seems to have impacted the interpersonal relationships even more strongly in a negative sense where we see less and less physical human interaction. But I have hope for us.

I'm really excited to be taking this class this semester and getting to know everyone. So far in my experiences at Temple my favorite classes each semester are those that are contributing to my major so I hope this is a similar experience. I also hope to gain an even greater understanding of the field of communication so I can walk away with a great education (as I'm sure everyone does in whatever the pursue). But yes, enough rambling. See you in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment