Monday, January 26, 2009

A little about me!

Hello Everyone! My name is Asa James Carr and I am a junior Communications major at Temple University. I believe it is safe to say my daily schedule, and routine are openly embedded with multiple facets of mass communication. As far as my own individual experiences with it, there are many. To start I get my day going by watching the morning news, or Sportscenter, then its sports radio again on the way to work or school. Then throughout the day, I am either texting on my phone, checking sports updates, emailing etc. Therefore, as you can see mass communication is a huge part of my life. Aside from that, it also affects me in my plans. I have an A.A in journalism, and fully intended on becoming a sports writer. Growing up my favorite thing to do was reading the paper. However, with the dawning of the technological boom that industry has all but dried up. Soon, only a few select papers will remain, and the internet will control most of the news. Which in reality does not bother me, but more than anything just brings about a sense of sadness. I already feel that as a country we have gotten away from core values, and ways of life that once uniquely defined us. Moreover, the dependency on technology and the separation it causes to the everyday interactions goes hand and hand with the shift in lifestyle. However, for me to sit here and label technology the devil would be irresponsible, and hypocritical. I feel once a system is in place to regulate content on the web, it can become an even more beneficial entity.

Wow! I know I sound like a confused, pessimistic individual; however, that is the complete opposite. And, that is why I am particularly stoked about taking this class. It will allot me the opportunity to filter out the misconceptions, and help develop, and legitimize my opinions regarding mass communication, and technology in particular. I feel that I have many important experiences to bring to the table. Outside of being an avid user of technology in my leisure time, I also have experience using it for work. You see I worked as a sports writer for a long while and also blog about sports as well. I thoroughly enjoy writing, and it is safe to say I am a tad obsessed with sports (Baseball leads the packs). In summation, I look forward to a semester with everybody, and hope we have a fun, eventful, worthwhile experience.

Asa

No comments:

Post a Comment